Proper oral hygiene and regular visits to AffableCare Dental are the two best defenses against plaque, the root of most dental problems. Our staff at AffableCare Dental encourages adult care and prevention that is focused on fight against plaque, the preservation of natural tooth structure, and early detection and treatment of serious oral health problems.
Why is care and prevention important for adults?
Dental problems tend to get worse when left untreated. When your see our dentist and staff at AffableCare Dental for regular visits, small problems won’t have a chance to become major concerns. For instance, the longer tooth decay goes unchecked the more damage it can do to a tooth, and the less of the original tooth that can be saved. Good hygiene and dental visits are cost-effective, too. It costs much more to have teeth repaired and replaced than it does to have regular exams and cleanings.
What kind of care do adults need?
Adult care and prevention focuses on preventing tooth decay and gum disease, the preservation of natural tooth structure, and early detection and treatment of serious oral problems.
- Most tooth decay and gum disease are due to plaque, so we want keeping plaque in check to be your first priority
- To resist plaque, adults need to brush their teeth with a fluoride toothpaste at least twice a day.
Brushing before bedtime is especially important, but brushing in the morning and after eating is recommended whenever possible.
- Use a soft-bristled toothbrush that is small enough to reach all your teeth. Replace it when the bristles start to wear.
- Floss your teeth every day to clean plaque from those places between teeth that can’t be reached by a toothbrush.
- Schedule regular dental visits every 6 months, or more frequently if our staff at AffableCare Dental indicates that you are prone to plaque and tartar buildup. These visits will include a thorough examination and a professional cleaning by Dr. Noel or our dental hygienist.
- Discuss painful or problem areas with our staff as soon as possible, so more serious problems can be prevented.
What prevention is possible with regular dental visits?
Regular dental visits serve two important purposes – to regularly give teeth a very thorough cleaning, and to examine teeth and gums for signs of serious problems. Some serious problems can be prevented if detected early.
What If I’ve Been Avoiding the Dentist?
We want you to know two things. First – you are not alone. Millions of people avoid the dentist for many different reasons. Second – we will not judge you or criticize you. We know that the last thing you need to hear is a lecture, so you have our promise that you won’t get one here. We just want to help you get your mouth healthy and your smile beautiful. If you’ve been procrastinating going to the dentist, whether because of fear of the dentist or because you just don’t have the time, sedation dentistry, may be the answer to your problem. For some people, sedation dentistry is as easy as taking a small pill. AffableCare Dental can discuss different sedation options with you, and can tell you if sedation is appropriate for your circumstances.